Major aquifers, well yields, estimated natural recharge, estimated water in storage, number of index wells and date of last water-level sweep are shown in Table 5.2-6. Figure 5.2-7 shows aquifer flow direction and water-level change between 1990-1991 and 2003-2004. Figure 5.2-8 contains hydrographs for selected wells shown on Figure 5.2-7. Figure 5.2-9 shows well yields in five yield categories. A description of aquifer data sources and methods as well as well data sources and methods, including water-level changes and well yields are found in Volume 1, Appendix A.
- Refer to Table 5.2-6 and Figure 5.2-7.
Major aquifers in the basin include recent stream alluvium, volcanic rock (Pinetop-Lakeside Aquifer) and sedimentary rock (Gila Conglomerate, and C and R Aquifers).
Most of the basin geology consists of consolidated crystalline and sedimentary rock.
The basin contains four sub-basins: Black River, White River, Salt River Canyon and Salt River Lakes.
Flow directions are generally not available due to the consolidated nature of the basin geology. Groundwater flow in the C-aquifer in the northwestern portion of the basin is from north to south.
- Refer to Table 5.2-6 and Figure 5.2-9.
As shown on Figure 5.2-9, well yields in this basin range from less than 100 gpm to greater than 2,000 gpm.
One source of well yield information, based on 140 reported wells, indicates that the median well yield in this basin is 170 gpm.
Water in Storage
- Refer to Table 5.2-6.
- The storage estimate for this basin is more than 8,700,000 acre-feet to a depth of 1,200 feet.
- Refer to Figure 5.2-7. Water levels are shown for wells measured in 2003-2004.
- The Department annually measures one index well in this basin, located near Young.
Hydrographs for this well and two additional wells are shown in Figure 5.2-8
- All water level information is from the western portion of the basin. The deepest recorded water level is 82 feet and the shallowest is eight feet, both located north of Miami-Globe.
Click for Table 5.2-6 Groundwater Data for the
Salt River Basin
Click for Figure 5.2-7 Salt River Basin Groundwater Conditions
Click for Figure 5.2-8 Salt River Basin Hydrographs Showing Depth to Water in Selected Wells
Click for Figure 5.2-9 Salt River Basin Well Yields